Ping checks for the connectivity between your computer and DataQuest servers, while tracert/traceroute specifies the route between them. Here’s how you can run these commands:
Windows XP, 2000, or 7
- Click the Start button
- On the Start menu, click Run....
- If you do not see the Run command in Windows 7, enter ‘cmd’ in the Search bar
- Type the following command and press enter: ping yourdomainname.com.
- Next, type the command: tracert yourdomainname.com.
- Press Windows+X on to open the WinX Menu.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
- Type the following command and press Enter: ping yourdomainname.com
If the command was successful, you will see ping statistics such as packet sent, received and lost as well as approximate time taken.
- Next, type the command: tracert yourdomainname.com
If the command was successful you will see the message ‘Trace complete’.
MacOS 10.7 and 10.8